The least expensive house painter that you can find or DIY may not be the best value and safest way to have the interior of your house painted. when making the decision to paint your homes interior going with the local handyman or hiring a professional house painting contractor there are a few things that you should keep in mind.
1) Safety comes to my mind first and that should be the most important factor for you and your family. Painting can be hazardous work, whether it’s working on a ladder or dealing with solvents and dust. Hiring a professional contractor means that you can have piece of mind. If your home or business was built before 1978, chances are it contains lead-based paint, which can cause serious health effects when it is scraped or sanded in preparation for repainting. Painters and anyone whom will be disturbing the paint are required by federal law to be an EPA Certified Firm and have a certified renovator. A lead certified painting company will take the appropriate steps to protect you, your family, and their painters from the dangers of lead.
2) Proper preparation and quality paint will give you a long lasting paint job. Preparing the surfaces properly makes all the difference. A Professional Painting Contractor knows the value of preparation and will do it right.The choices today are more complicated than just oil or latex base coatings and professional house painters know what works, how to use it, and will have the right tools for the job.
3) Hiring a professional painting company means you don’t have to worry about dealing with paint residues and other leftovers. Professionals will know how to handle any hazardous wastes and any other materials that are left over. They will clean up your home at the end of the project and leave your house looking as if they where never there.
4) Always verify the contractor is licensed and insured. Quality contracting firms will be only too happy to provide you with copies of their certificates of insurance. Not all states and municipalities require licensing however business registration with your state and municipality is generally a minimum requirement.
5) A reputable painting contractor will encourage the use of a written contract. This contract should clearly explain the scope of the work to be performed. It should also cover such items as surfaces to be painted, methods and extent of surface preparation, time schedules for the project, and payment procedures. Knowing the total scope of the work enables you to carefully evaluate the different bids you may receive with the proper information and keep them on a level playing field. The contract serves to protect both you and the contractor.
6) Obtain a list of references from the prospective contractor. This list should include the contact person, address, and telephone number of the previous client. Follow up on this list with a phone call. Be sure to ask whether the contractor and employees treated you professionally and with respect. If possible, try to see the work that was done.
7) Discuss any guarantee or warranty programs the contractor may offer. Ask about the manufacturer's warranty on the products to be used on your project. Remember you are looking for long-term durability from the paint job. The use of high quality products is as important as the selection and performance of the contractor. Verifying references will provide a return on your project investment.
Kellogg's Painting Company has more tips when selecting a professional house painter for your New York homes interior painting needs.